Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wednesday is Workday

So Wednesday is workday and this week I was in the garden. I will tell you this was the first time in my life I have ever newspapered the outdoors. This was not a prank, like toilet papering, but a great gardening technique. (I'm sure some of you handy people know) but anyway, here's me newspapering...


We then covered the area with newspaper and the newspaper with sawdust and now it looks great. I guess it makes it hard for the weeds to grow. While I was spreading out all the sawdust I definitely felt like a hamster, but I survived that and in the middle of the afternoon we take a break from work and go have tea. Somehow we started talking about electric fences and getting shocked and decided to go grab the fence as a group. So we all held hands and made Dave (he was more than willing) grab onto the wire. The most people we could get the shock through was 5. Why did we do this?? Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. We do have plans to find a higher powered fence and see if we can get it through all of us, but we had to go back to work, so that will be a story for another day. 

Also I weeded the rhubarb, garlic, potatoes, strawberries and more. Then planted pumpkins, squash, and onions. I repaired a whole in the netting over the strawberries, because we are trying to protect them from the birds. It was a fun workday and the sun was shining for most of it. 

I would like to have my own garden someday. They are a lot of work, but they are very rewarding and exciting to see everything growing...even if the weeds seem to grow at a much faster pace than anything else! 

No comments:

Post a Comment