Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I met a Spaniard but he wasn't tall, dark, and handsome.

Let me back up, then I'll tell you about it...

We all went "tramping" from Sunday to Tuesday (That's Kiwi for hiking). It was heaps of fun! Here's our group at the end. Kelcey was the only one who didn't come because she's on crutches and that would be rather difficult. 
We went up Mount Somers and it was beautiful every step of the way.
The first day was very uphill hiking which was a struggle for this girl who's not the most in shape, but taking a water break here on this awesome rock overlooking the hills was worth every step!
Another water break was when our trail went underneath this awesome little waterfall! 
View from the bottom looking up
River crossings are always more fun when you have your balance thrown off by a backpack, but we all did quite well staying dry.
When we made it to our hut the first night we left our backpacks there and were free to go exploring. So me Davey and Schaeffer went out to find stuff to climb on.
And then we went higher, can you see us? We ended up going almost all the way to the top of those hills you can see.
The next day was super foggy and misty. While it did block out most of the scenery it was in a sense it's very own scenery. It reminded me that God created everything and not just the stuff we think is cool and that I should appreciate it all. 
Our team in the mist.
Here we are about to get to our 2nd hut. This one was much bigger, but the toilet smelled much worse!
From here we went exploring again and went to some water caves. Amy and I held up the rocks so Erica could pose for the picture.

They were super cool to climb over, which we did on the way up the river and were nice and warm staying dry. This was when I met my Spaniard. But instead of a man it is a plant over here. A plant that is very sharp and pokey. While I was jumping over the river and trying to catch hold of a rock my forehead bumped into one and it poked me right in the middle of my forehead. I knew it hurt, but didn't realize it had cut me and I turned around to warn the others and their faces were hilarious, because I had blood dripping right down the middle of my forehead, and then I could feel it and had to wipe it off and stick my head in the river to make it stop, but it was funny. And I survived, but we didn't get a picture of that. 
We all picked a rock in the river when we got through all the caves for a picture.
Then we decided to brave the glacier water of the river and go through the caves on the way back down instead of climbing over them.
We found some fun little water slides.
And climbed behind freezing waterfalls.
And slid through little rock openings into pools of water.
Later that night when we were dry again we went out to have a little class and we had to cross this really long and skinny bridge that only one person can be on at a time. It was fun because it wiggled under each step.
That night all the girls took their mattresses out to the porch and slept under the stars. We were all bundled up like Eskimo babies!
And here's us on the last day of hiking. Was it beautiful or what!?!?!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment