Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans! We are even celebrating it over here in New Zealand! We were away at camp for Canada's Thanksgiving, so ours is the one we'll all celebrate (and there's more of us anyway). 

Yesterday was workday and Davey and I were in the kitchen helping Drea. We cleaned the kitchen for the first couple hours but then moved on to baking! I made the pumpkin by from scratch and then Davey and I learned how to lace the apple pie. It was really fun, and turned out beautifully! 

The day started at 6am with the "first annual turkey trot". I guess the Turkey Trot is a 5k they do in Minnesota, but we brought it here to New Zealand and increased it to a 9k. That's just over 5 miles for you Americans. We had 3 runners (Erica, Amy, and Dave), 3 bikers (me, Gen, and Drea), and 1 human cheerleader (Kelcey). Many sheep and cows were along the sides to cheer us on too. 
Coming to the finish

"Turkey Trot Style"

The Runners

Runners, bikers, and cheerleader 

We still had the normal breakfast and class (it's not a holiday over here after all) and then everyone did homework in the afternoon and beautified themselves. Erica is a professional when it comes to make up, so she did everyone's make up and then I helped out with the girls' hair. We all wore dresses and then took family pics. 




We had appetizers to snack on and then had an amazing dinner! It was delicious! Very similar to what the rest of you probably had in the States. Then we enjoyed the delicious pies and ice cream! 


We all helped clean up because the poor dish duty people would have been in the kitchen for hours cleaning up. So all 8 students were dancing away washing, drying, and putting things away to the sound of Christmas music. It was a wonderful day over here. And I can tell you this, I am so thankful. I'm thankful for my wonderful family and that Luka is a Caraway this year. I'm thankful for my amazing friends both over in the USA, in Tanzania, here in New Zealand, and other places around the world. I'm thankful for the opportunity to be at this school where I learn so much every single day. I'm thankful for the beauty here. And I'm oh so thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, who makes life worth living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment