Thursday, August 30, 2012

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

Okay...to those of you who did not know...I am in TANZANIA! Yes, I am moving to New Zealand for school...but I had to make a pit stop on my way (or out of my way!). I apologize for any lies you may have heard in this planning process, but the surprised look on my mom's face was worth it all...More on that later. 

Let me start by telling you the trip from the start...

Casey and Steven drove me to Chi-town from GR. Grams Velting lent us her car, because she didn't believe mine would make it to Chicago...we weren't really sure either, but trying to have faith. (So thanks Grandma!!) We had a fun trip down, Case and I got 'sister rings', and they came inside the airport with me. Case and I took my 3 pieces of luggage up to the counter while Steven when far away with my jumbo overstuffed, overweight backpack (after it was full we added a 12lb computer to it!) So while checking in the man frowns at my 1st bag that is a bit too long and puts a "long" sticker on it. Then he wants the next bag on the scale. I smile and act like it's light, while inwardly I cringe because I know he will notice on the scale that it's a few pounds over. He frowns at that bag too and puts a heavy sticker on it but doesn't mention it. Then the last bag...(this one is even heavier). I gracefully set it on the scale and try to keep the end hanging off the edge to mess up the scale, but he fixes it so it's right in the middle and finally goes beyond the frown to the sigh. (never a good sign) Then he proceeds to explain how this bag is too heavy and he gave us grace with the other one but it would cost like $70 to have an overweight bag. We asked how much grace we could get and decided with the couple "grace pounds" we would make it work. So we pulled out a purse, hair dryer, frame, pair of jeans, and a couple other small items. At this he asked what I was taking for carry ons. I said, "oh just this purse and a backpack". He, knowing our type, asked about the backpack. 
Him: "I need to see that too."
Me: "Oh, my brother has it and he's just wandering."
Him: "How big is it?" 
Me: "Not very big"
Him: (pointing) "Well would it fit in that size thing?"
Me: (very sure) "Oh yeah! easily" (meaning with a ton of pushing and shoving)
Him: "Is it like a camping backpack or a little one?"
Me: "I normally travel with a rolly bag and it's smaller than that." (it's definitely a camping one)
He ended it with another sigh and let us go. Praise God for the line that piled up behind us! Because we still had the overweight bag open on the scale at this point too, but we were taking so long debating about what to take out of it that he told us it was fine to leave the rest in. hahaha!

Next came security. 

Note that my backpack weighed over 30lbs before I shoved the hairdryer, jeans, frame, purse, and other things into it. And that we had added the 12lb computer to it once it was full. Computers have to come out and go through in a separate bin. So I pulled out the hairdryer, jeans, frame, purse, and other things in order to get to the 12lb computer and pulled it out and put it into bin number one. Then I pulled out my actual computer (the 12lb-er is for someone else) and put it in bin 2. Then I took off my shoes and put them in bin 3. Jewelry and my purse went in bin 4. I shoved the hairdryer, jeans, frame, purse, and other things back into the jumbo backpack and threw that on behind as item number 5. Then I waltzed through security and the lady hardly noticed me (I think they were all trying to figure out how one girl could have so much stuff!) It came through on the other side and filled up the entire space. The people were trying to get me to hurry, so I stuck my shoes back on and left them untied, pulled the hairdryer, jeans, frame, purse, and other things back out to shove the 2 computers in and then balance the other stuff back on top. I couldn't close it without some serious organization, so I just put it on carefully and tried not to trip over my own shoe laces. I threw the jewelry in my purse and hobbled over to my gate. (Praise God again for giving me the closest possible gate to security!)

Now I'm sitting by my gate waiting to board the plane! Cannot wait! You won't read this till I get to Mumba though where I am surprising my Mama!!

Ok, I'm home now and will post about the rest of the trip tomorrow. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment