Saturday, October 20, 2012

Kids Club!

Well I don't even know where to start. Me, Coley, Dave and Daniel went to the Peel Forest Kids Club yesterday. That is the ministry we will be involved in this year. It is for kids from ages 6-12 I think and every Friday for 2 hours. The kids hear a Bible story, play games, do crafts, songs, and get tea (dinner). 

So we arrived to Steve and Jenny setting up (They are the older couple that run it). Steve was wearing a kilt, knee socks, and sandals. Anyway, we all have to wear name tags so I told Coley to write Davie on Dave's and he is now officially Davie to all the kids! Yes!!! 

Jaden, one of the kids who was about 7 was nearly impossible to understand. With an accent, a speech impediment, and constant chatter. He prayed before we had tea and it sounded something like this, "ahhhbo laa okina coooakl kids club assseen toll la kids club" and then he was stuffing his face so we said 'amen' and all started eating. =)

Grady, another little boy wanted to make every game into tackle of some sort. During the craft we were gluing little stones to build houses. They have been adding a layer every week and the houses are looking amazing! But they gave me a thing of super glue and sent me to Grady's end of the table. I'm sure you can picture what I was thinking, "Why in the world are we using super glue with a 6 year old wild child like this!?!?" I was sure it would be an issue if I put glue on the little stone in his hand like he wanted me to so I put the glue on the foundation and had him just gently place the stones on top. This was a great idea until he knocked one of the stones off. Needing to know if the glue was still wet he stuck his pointer finger into it. Then, in an effort to get the glue off his finger he rubbed it with his thumb. Can you guess where this is going? The next thing I know he is trying to pry his fingers apart. Then I grabbed his finger and helped him pull against his thumb. It was really difficult but we finally got them apart. 

We ended up breaking a light bulb when one of the kids kicked the ball we were playing with into it. And there were many other funny moments. I'm excited to see these kids every week and watch them grow. Please be in prayer for them, because these kids are from a very unchurched area and don't have a lot of Christian influence in their lives. Pray for me and the other students too that we would be a great example of Christ's love to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment